12.08.2009

Miracle

On Sunday afternoon, Will & I flew to Dallas to meet "Mr. Nick" (Nick Vujicic), a 27 year old Australian man born without limbs. Nick is a celebrity of sorts in our world. I was first sent one of his YouTube videos when I was pregnant with Will and have seen many since. Nick has travelled all over the world speaking and inspiring. He has been on Oprah & shared with us about how he will drive Oprah in a special car being created for him next October. He has 2 college degrees - financial planning being one of them. He has a business and has published a book. He has learned how to live life independently but after proving to himself he can do life independently, he accepted that life is easier for him with caretakers. He can't wait to get married and wants a family and is waiting for the right woman. He is in love with Jesus Christ & passionate about sharing God's love.
He was speaking at Watermark Community Church in Dallas and was kind enough to give our group a private meet and greet.
In the car later that night, do you know what Will said about Nick?
He said, "Mommy, Mr. Nick has 2 eyes. Mr. Nick has a nose. Mr. Nick has a mouth. Mr. Nick has a neck."
Oh, my precious child. I love that he noticed first what Nick HAS.
In fact, it wasn't until last night as he was going to bed (24 hours later) that he said to me, "Mommy, Mr. Nick doesn't have feet or legs."

I'd like to share with you some of what Nick spoke about that touched my heart.
One of the first things he said was that sometimes we can beg God for a miracle... and yet God says no. Sometimes God is silent on the issue. Nick has seen physical miracles occur right in front of - praying for healing & sight for the blind and then seen it occur. And yet, God has chosen to not give Nick a physical miracle. (He does keep a pair of shoes in his closet just in case!) He said that when God says no, He will do a miracle for someone else through you - which can be a miracle in itself. I immediately thought of how much we prayed for a miracle during my pregnancy. God did not grant the miracle we asked for. However, I have seen him work miracles through my little boy. I have seen and grown to appreciate the miracle of laughter in someone who shouldn't be able to smile. I have seen the miracle of steps in someone who shouldn't be able to walk. I have had the opportunity to meet families I would never have known - and to share a sort of intimacy with them immediately due to our similar circumstances. That is miraculous. I have had the opportunity to meet with and encourage other parents with younger children who are shocked and confused and suddenly find themselves in our world. I love spending my time doing that. God has worked miracles through Will - just as He is.
He used Romans 8:28 to talk about doing life when God doesn't change one's circumstance. I loved that he used this verse because, frankly, I think this verse is used too often by Christians to wrap everything up all nice & neat and then leave someone very confused. The Bible says in Romans that "all things work together for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose." So - how can having challenges and physical differences be good? Because God says they can be used by Him to work together for His greater purposes. Nick mentioned that when you put a "GO" in front of "disabled"... you get "God is abled." Loved that!
Nick spoke about knowing your purpose- that God has fearfully & wonderfully made each one of us & we do have purpose. Sometimes, a physical difference helps you find your purpose perhaps faster than someone who is "normal." I think that is true for us in many ways. I don't know what career Will may have but I do know God is building him into a man of character through life's events and that Will does have purpose that will include using his body & his story to bring God glory. He definitely has purpose.
Nick reminded me to honor God. He said that "when you honor God with what you have, He will honor you with All He has." I want God to honor me. I am, therefore, called to honor Him with exactly what He has given me.
Another verse often misused (or at least misunderstood) is Phil. 4:6-7. God is able to grant us the desires of our heart. However, Nick noted, He will not do so if our first desire is not for God. Nick's mistake as a boy was in wanting his limbs more than he wanted God. This was so convicting for me.
Nick spoke a lot about challenges. He told us about the eagle of Isaiah 41. Did you know that an eagle can sense a storm coming? And when he does, he will soar up high above the clouds for safety. He still has to get through the clouds, first, however. Everyone has trials and struggles and challenges in life. Nick commented that being from a broken home or having a broken heart are far worse than a broken body without limbs. We will have trials on this earth. Yet, God does have a plan for us (Jer. 29:11) - a plan to bring us hope and a future. Ultimately, He desires that we bring Him the glory He is due and He will use whatever means necessary to do that.
Nick shared that had God granted the physical miracle he begged Him for as a young boy, he would have shared the story. However, he doesn't believe it would have brought the kind of glory and faith inspiration that he has seen his life bring without limbs. Nick has led 400,000 to Christ Jesus... at age 27. He believes God has given him purpose & has used his life to bring Himself glory.
Not long after Will was born, I remember coming to a similar conclusion about Will. I do believe that had God given Will hands & feet & fingers & toes and no mouth issues, we would have shared that miracle & people would have praised Jesus. But, I am confident it would have died out. And I wouldn't have shared it all the time because I would have gone about life & it wouldn't always be appropriate. I do go about life now but since my life includes prosthetic legs and meeting lots of strangers when I travel, I have a lot of opportunities to share about the daily miracles He is doing for Will. Just yesterday, flying home (which took 12 hours- 2 cancelled flights, a reroute to a city about 2 hours from here, & then sharing a ride with strangers), I had the opportunity to share about the miracles God has done for Will with lots of strangers. It simply happens all the time because people are curious about this little boy running through the airport away from his mommy without feet... or doing somersaults in the middle of the terminal with prosthetics on... or feeding himself though he only has a few partial fingers or ramming cars into each other. Their curiosity leads to questions which gives me opportunities I wouldn't have with total strangers 2 years later if God had healed Will as we had asked.
We are allowed by God to walk through fire with grace to bring others' salvation and bring Him glory.
Finally, Nick spoke about contentment in all things- Philippians 4:1-11. Being thankful is a choice and it is something I am daily working on. I am working on being thankful for Will's surgery - still scheduled for a few days before Christmas. I had to really work hard to be thankful yesterday when I was stranded in an airport all day with my two year old. Thankfulness is a decision by faith. I loved when he spoke of supernatural contentment - that which occurs when someone envies someone without limbs. I've had this occur some & it just amazes me- when a kid (usually) will say something about being jealous because Will can stick his hand/arm in his mouth completely or some other trick Will can do due to his body. Love that!
Nick did say some truths that scared me. He spoke of his depression as a boy of 8 - even though he was raised by Christian parents who loved & accepted him. He spoke of a suicide attempt at age 10. I have read the statistics for the disabled. I am fearful because I know depression is very possible for Will. I never imagined it could occur as early as age 8. I am having to choose to trust God daily for my little boy. Sometimes, especially as I listened to Nick, I felt so overwhelmed by all I need to do as Will's mom. Nick gave us some great advice in our private meeting about raising a child with limb differences. It was wonderful but I feel so overwhelmed - I should spend all day on my knees I have so much to pray for. I remain feeling so inadequate for this task. But I know the One who is adequate.
I don't know all of God's plan for Will. I still have fear and nightmares and challenges and frustrations. I sometimes have envy of others. But I know the One who does know the plan.

Did you know that today is the one year anniversary of when Will took his first independent steps? My heart continues to overflow... I see a miracle everyday.


To see Nick on YouTube (old video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUvzKDroqM


1 thoughts:

Laura said...

This is a GREAT summary, Katie! What a gifted writer you are. This is such a beautiful post and I'm so glad I got to experience listening to Nick with you...what a blessing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...