9.04.2010

Random Ramblings

1. It takes 8 Will sized somersaults to get from our apartment living room to our bedroom. It takes 14 to get from where I nurse Ellie to our bedroom. It also helps to wear a boy out and occupy him for approximately 6 minutes while Mommy nurses his baby sister.
2. I smell like molasses. I can smell myself which is gross. Ellie smells like molasses too but it doesn't gross me out because she is pretty and delicious to kiss all over. On the bright side to my smelling like French toast, the combo diet of avocados, cashews, and fenugreek is apparently working. Ellie gained 6 ounces from Tuesday to Friday and is just one measly ounce short of being back to her birthweight! Go Ellie girl! It makes the molasses smell worth it!
3. Ellie only ate once last night - glorious sleep! Except that the sleep was interrupted by 3 blowouts - requiring not only gown changes but even a swaddle change! And dressing Ellie hurts her which wakes her up more. Thankfully, she is soothed by some cuddling - which soothes her mama too. Did I mention she only ate once?!?!? Oh blessed sleep, how I have missed you and love you and am thankful to go without you since it means I am up with a precious babe.
4. Yesterday, after Ellie's casting appointment, we met my mom & Will at a park for a picnic lunch. It was 84 degrees - in TEXAS!!! Just lovely! Apparently every other family in the neighborhood agreed since the park was crowded. But so fun to just be outside without sweating! Ellie slept through the whole experience but Will had a blast and made some friends. The friends were very nice to play with him (ages 5 & 7) but they drove me insane with their constant questions about his hands & feet. I managed to act my age and refrained from resorting to sarcasm though I was tempted with some of their comments. They weren't rude, though, just very curious. For the first time, Will told someone "no" when they tried to grab his hands and I got to reinforce his right to not be examined. It was a good step for us in teaching him that he has ownership of his body and no one has the right to grab him. I also corrected a little girl who called his hands "weird." I said they were not - they were the way he is made & they are cool. Finally, she resorted to using the term "interesting." That works.
Ellie was asleep and covered the whole time so no one noticed her casts or hands. I can only imagine the curious comments I will get someday between the two of them!
Did I mention it is only 84 degrees? We're going out to play this morning!
5. I woke up this morning and realized I am officially a mom of two when I had poop on my nightgown that I slept in but rather than immediately change, I fed Will & Ellie & ate breakfast first myself. It was dried. It was yellow baby poop so that doesn't really gross me out. Although I'm guessing it might gross out other people. Like my husband.
Except that he confessed that Ellie peed on him during the night and he didn't have the energy to change either.
And that didn't gross me out.
We're kind of tired.
But happy.
The end.

2 thoughts:

Christie M said...

LOL.... I remember the days of having to change clothes as often as the baby. I don't think we ever made it to church without some sort of barf on us for about 5 years straight. :)

Our son, who has Cerebral Palsy, is 29. We ahve a daughter with Arthrogryposis who is 12 and a daughter with Restrictive band syndrome, hand differences and 1 prosthetic leg who is 11. I don't know if I have ever gotten used to overly enthusiastic questioners. Ugh. Sometimes, you just want to buy milk, or swim, or play or.....

And sometimes, correcting kids who's parents don't understand that their darling who is asking the umteenth question, just isn't that darling, is what one has to do to protect our kids.

Good for Will for Saying NO! I love the park at Scottish Rite, but it is open to the public and it seems that folks would know to tell their children to back off, but they don't.

I always have to remember that I am representing Christ wherever I go, so we really do have to be kind. Sometimes I just don't want to though.

Congrats on Ellie's weight gain AND your precious sleep. :)

Amanda said...

Katie, I just got your comment about Molly. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I'm sure I heard about you hundreds of times! I came over here to meet you and am just so touched, I can't even speak. What a precious family you have. Your children are beautiful. I'm glad to have found your blog.
Blessings,
Amanda
ajones1014@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...