10.17.2008

Another Tale From The "Aisle"

So I realized today that I forgot to share my most recent grocery store experience. It happened in Albertson's one evening. I became someone else. The mother lioness in me (?) took over & I didn't even recognize myself. Will didn't recongize me either. If he had the words he would have asked, "who are you and what have you done with my crying, non-confrontational mother??!?!?")
A little girl, maybe around 7 yrs old, walked by us & then proceeded to tell her mom all about Will's feet & lack of toes. Ok- I can handle that so I want back to preusing the bread. Did I mention I was at one end of the aisle in the big, open produce section? Well, unfortunately for that little girl, she continued telling her mother all about Will, loudly. When she was about halfway thru the produce section, I finally lost it. I yelled across the produce section my little mantra, " HE DOES HAVE HANDS & FEET, THEY'RE JUST DIFFERENT THAN YOURS. IT'S HOW GOD MADE HIM." Her eyes got huge & her hand shot to her mouth in amazement (or maybe fear?) I casually turned back to my bread choices, internally shocked at myself but feeling a new sense of pride. I am so not confrontational.
Before I knew it, the girl's mother had taken her by the hand, left her grocery cart, & was heading my way. I considered whipping my cart around & running. My heart began to beat faster. I thought I might get in an argument or what if she hit me or something. I'm not a fighter- I would definitely cry & cower if hit. (I was hit one time while teaching high school - I cried - that's the closest I've ever been to a "fight" - not counting sibling stuff of course.) Rationally, my brain quickly realized that it would not be good for me to be kicked out of Albertson's. I love Albertson's. They love Will there & I love all my brightly colored recycleable shopping bags that they give me money back for using. And, let's not forget, I don't believe in shopping at HEB anymore if I can help it. If I'm kicked out of Albertson's, where will I go??! I hate Wal-Mart. I would be forced to rely on my friends to grocery shop for me. They love me but I think that would cross the lines of our friendships! :) This was very scary.
So, I did what any self-respecting, non-confrontational mother of a kid with differences would do... I just quickly began reciting my mantra (see above) over & over & over & over. Kill em with repetition is my motto. I threw in a little, "how many fingers do you have?" as a little trick at distracting the little girl but she was smarter than that. She just stared at me as did her mother. I don't think her mother wanted a confrontation at all. Rather, I think she realized her daughter was wrong and she was trying to show her daughter how to politely behave but didn't really know what to do or say when they got to me. So they stood there silently. I'm pretty sure that little girl learned her lesson about talking about others. Finally, I turned around & walked off.... walking a little taller than I did when I went in the store.

*PS- new pics & a video of Will coming soon!!! I'm working on it! ;)

2 thoughts:

Unknown said...

You go girl! I knew it was in you...I support that Katie mama :)
love ya'll...i'd grocery shop for you anytime...well you know...that distance thing!
ejw

Megan said...

ok, I know you already told me that story, but I am laughing again...especially about you getting hit and crying at school...I would like a more detailed "blow by blow" of that story if you don't mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...