3.21.2009

Prosthetics Dr Appointments & Casting

Will's prosthetic team decided to get creative on Friday! As part of Will's syndrome & due to less surface area to sweat from, he is more likely to succomb to hyperthermia than people without his syndrome & with more surface area on their hands & feet. As you can imagine, with his prosthetics which are 5 layers thick with a very heavy neoprene sleeve that reaches nearly to his groin, he gets hot very quickly! I expressed concern on Friday relating to this & the upcoming summer & my fear that Will may want to quit wearing his zancos in the summer due to the heat. So, they decided to cast him & attempt to create something that will cover less skin. They've never had a request exactly like this for a kid with feet differences like Will so they aren't exactly sure what they will do. I was so thankful they were willing to be creative & flexible with us! We'll see soon!
At 10 months, when Will was casted for his first set of zancos, he took it in "stride." He did not like it this time- he continually yelled, "cold" as the plaster was put on his legs & he was especially afraid of the sharp razor blade & scissors which were used to cut the casts off of his little body. I knew it was not hurting him so this was not as hard on my heart as surgery, for instance, but I hate seeing him afraid & not being able to explain it to him in a way he can understand. I am so proud of Will; he endures so much that I can't even fathom.

Exhausted from a long day - he crashed on the floor for a rest!


Showing Dr. Herring his walking skills! I loved seeing his team & sharing our great walking news with them! Dr. Herring once predicted that Will would be walking by April 1, 2009 - it was so fun to be there in March with Will walking!



The OT at Scottish Rite fitting Will with a spoon! I explained to her how his OT here & I have been searching for utensils for Will that are easy for him to learn how to feed himself. We've been having a really hard time finding the perfect utensil - you should see how full his side of our silverware drawer is! I mentioned this problem to her & within 30 seconds, she had him fitted with a neat leather band & spoon & he is now feeding himself with one hand!!! (He can't always get the spoon full with food but if I do that, he can get it to his mouth!) He can even put the wrist band on all by himself! She also gave us cool plate guards to help him learn how to scoop food. Will quickly learned that the wrist band + spoon also makes a great catapult.

His face lit up when he walked in the doors of Scottish Rite, ALL BY HIMSELF! He was Mr. Happy as he walked the halls - as if he owns the place! I think he was really proud of himself!
He especially loved seeing his girls on the 2nd floor & showing off... & getting lots of attention & adoration & high fives! I only wish I had pictures of that!

A new way to carry his blanket around, hands-free. I'm sure he'll be really proud of this picture someday- probably want it on his dorm bulletin board!














0 thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...