5.13.2009

Will's Zancos

Yesterday, during occupational therapy, we noticed Will had a dime sized blister on his left leg/foot/heel pad/ whatever. Today, it's like a dime & a half sized (15 cents? - sorry, bad joke.)
I emailed his prosthetist (after reading lots of horror stories online about what can happen to residual limbs - like Will's- when a blister develops from a prosthetic.)
She responded that she did not want him wearing zancos at all until she sees him on the 20th when we will begin a new prosthetic process. Clearly, the blister is confirmation of my suspicion that he had outgrown the zancos. Of course, it also is probably painful for him when he's walking around outside or on hard tile without his zancos on.
It's hard to explain to your toddler why you won't put on their shoes- even when they've brought you 4 pairs from their little closet- begging to have a pair of shoes on. It's hard to explain why someone who can normally walk beside you in a store or at the gym can not do so for over a week. I am frustrated today - I know it's only a week but I'm frustrated at the distance I live from the hospital. I wish I could just take him immediately to get new zancos started. I'm frustrated that I have had to change my flight for next week several times as my appointment times/dates have changed/shifted around from what I originally planned for. I'm frustrated that I've paid a price difference on my airline ticket every time I change it (though, in this day & age of airline travel, I'm grateful I'm not paying a "change fee!") And, then, of course, I feel guilty for feeling frustrated because I'm reminded of how I begged God for his life. What's a week without zancos when I have my Will? So, forgive my complaining, please.
I realize it's ironic-8 months ago I hated having him wear the zancos & had to force myself to keep him in them for any extended length of time! Now, he loves them & cries when I say it is time to take them off.
Anyway, please pray that the blister will pop & heal (maybe I'll drain it!??!) in time for him to get fitted for new zancos on the 20th & 21st. I think they may not be able to recast him with an open sore or a bandage on his foot as that would change the fit. I know - a silly prayer request but I don't want to have to change my flight...again! And, I want my baby to be able to wear his legs!

2 thoughts:

Unknown said...

Praying 897 miles away.
Love ya'll and counting down the days til we give high 5's from Will :)
love ya'll--ejw

Anonymous said...

We have a great idea - move closer to Dallas and the hospital! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...