2.15.2010

She's With Me

I found this video recently & sobbed my way through it (to view & hear- make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the blog & hit pause on the music playlist... then hit play on the video above.)

I hate looks of pity. I remember last summer, a little girl looked at Will & told me she felt so sorry for him. Mama Lion in me jumped out & told her not to dare feel sorry for him - that he is just fine & can do anything he wants to.

Often, I get excited to take Will places and then when I see someone staring at him, I think, "Oh! Lucky them - they get to meet Will today!" And I strut over, proud mama that I am, & introduce Will! Or, if I'm unable to get to them, I simply convince Will to do one of his great song performances at the top of his lungs, or tickle him to make him laugh, and I think, "Lucky them- today, they get to see my Will!"

I read in an article about this song that the author, Collin Raye, wrote it about his granddaughter, Haley, who has a regressive neurological disorder that has not been diagnosed. She can't do basic functional activities (rolling over, walking, or even speaking.) He says, "it is such an honor to take her places & be her representative on earth & say 'Oh, hey, she's with me.'"

I love when he says, "I've never done a single thing to earn the right to share her light.... though it's such a painful road we walk each day, Lord, You have Your ways..." I get that. I certainly don't deserve the abundance we know in being Will's parents.

I'm not embarrased to be seen in public with Will. I have my moments when I want to be left alone to grocery shop in peace and sometimes I get sick of the extra measures TSA takes with Will in airport security situations. (I do sometimes get embarrased when he throws a two year old fit!) But I love being in public with him - because I know others will meet him & see him do life & hopefully recognize what a creative Creator we serve. I pray that as they watch Will, they would be amazed along with us. Oh, I love having him with me.

0 thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...