7.09.2010

Best Dressed


In 2007, when I was pregnant with Will (whom we didn't know was a Will), my mom came to town with bags and bags of freshly dry-cleaned baby clothes...
that she had saved for 27 years.
She saved many of my brothers' & my clothes for her grandchildren to one day wear.
Recently, as I was packing for the hospital, I began to pull out my old dresses.
I washed them in Dreft this week and I just can't seem to stop caressing them & imagining Ellie in them.
They are absolutely stunning. There are precious gowns - some that are flowing & long enough to be a christening gown. There are pale pinks, sweet, soft blues, a pretty yellow, and lots of clean, crisp whites.
Some were actually made by my great-grandmother in the 1930's and a few have been worn by 3 generations of women in my family - my grandmother, my mother, me, and soon a fourth generation - my Ellie.
We have portraits of each of us wearing the peach colored dress above- made by Great Granny in 1935. I so long to have Ellie's portrait made in it as well.

I don't know how long I get with my Ellie girl, but I can assure you, she will be the best dressed baby in that NICU!

a few of my favorites:


feminine
sweet
delicate

frilly

dainty


ruffles
and thanks to my friend, Laura, I now know that every girl needs her name monogrammed on her bottom...
who knew girls needed diaper covers?
Love this!
While I am not yet ready to meet Ellie Grace as I know she needs more time to develop (& selfishly, I like having her all to myself - I dread having her taken away from me for testing by doctors), I do long to have years to dress her in such precious dresses and gowns.
If her big brother has his way, she'll come out swinging a sword & playing pirates and baseball. I figure I have about 18 months to dress her up before she chooses to be a tomboy! Or maybe, she'll just have Capt. Will doing tea parties on his pirate ship!

1 thoughts:

Julia said...

I love your posts. I love that you love that precious child in your womb. I love that she is as much a part of your family as Will and your husband. I love your witness and faith and confidence that God is always loving and tender towards His children. Thank you. I know that you grieve for the unknown but thank you. We are adopting a little boy in the next week who was given up by his parents because he has Arthrogryposis. He lives in a world where special needs kids are tossed aside - unwanted and unloved. He is now six was recently transferred out of his orphanage and is sitting in a mental institute - lost and alone. Next Thursday we are meeting him for the first time. He is not a child of my womb but has been born in my heart since January. I tell you this so that you will pray for us as we pray for your precious child. His name is Aaron.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...