10.29.2010

First Day of Preschool!

I never imagined in my life that my child would be dressed as Buzz Lightyear for his first day of school ever.

But I think the excitement of going to school in a Halloween costume, having a parade in costumes, and a class party helped to ease his nerves and distract the other kids from the "new kid."
My precious baby boy growing up way too fast big boy was so excited this morning.
That is, he was excited once we finally got him out of bed.  When I woke him up, with smells of his favorite breakfast being cooked on the stove, he said, "Good morning, Mommy.  I need to sleep for five more minutes."
Is he 13?

walking into school holding Daddy's hand

Putting his name in the bucket to show he is present
Finding his cubby
Posing with his teacher, Cinderella.
I think he has a crush as he has made up songs all day about hugging and kissing Cinderella.
Tonight, at dinner, he asked me why Mrs. Lyon had to come back next Tuesday instead of Cinderella.
All morning, he called her Cinderella too!  Hopefully he'll remember to call her Mrs. Lyon in the future!
He did crafts

and learned how to put his artwork in the drying rack
and found his spot in the circle for story time
And there was a party at the end of the morning.  When I arrived with the other parents for the party, he said, "Mommy, you can go, it's not time to get me yet!"
I'm so glad he was happy.

Ellie slept right through the party
 but she was dressed in her cute Halloween romper
I've beaten myself up this year for not having a cute homemade costume.  However, I think it was good he went with such a trendy costume this year - gave him something in common with the other boys in his class!
He had a great morning & was exhausted when we got home!  He kept asking if it was nap time yet!
I did get to talk to the kids about his differences and it went fine.  When I returned to school an hour later for the party, I noticed some kids touching Will's hands curiously but there was no grabbing.  One little boy hid his arm in his sleeve & was asking Will where his hand went... kind of trying to imitate Will.  The dad appeared embarrassed and stopped his son.  Will thought it was a neat trick so he pulled his arm into his sleeve and asked where his hand was.  I couldn't help but comment that I think Will has the advantage of the shock factor in that trick!

All in all, a great day.  He loved preschool & I survived.

5 thoughts:

JennyCraig said...

So glad it went well! Will and Blane need to take a pic together...he has a woody costume!!!

Megan Perea said...

So happy to hear he had a good day...and that you did okay too! We spent some time with Mrs. Lyon when we lived there, and she is so sweet and clearly loves the Lord! I think you'll love her!

Darby Basham Brown said...

I love his OFFICIAL 1st day of school photo! That is one for rehearsal dinner someday!! I am glad he had fun....I hope you did too!

Scott & Shelby Peschel said...

So glad he had a great day! It's a toy story halloween for us this year too!

naomi said...

the picture of him walking down your sidewalk with his backpack on is priceless! great post, katie! I can tell will is going to love ps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...