5.28.2009

2 Tales from the Beach

Well it's been awhile since I've had some ....ummm... comments made about Will's differences & I just couldn't help but post several I've heard this week from kids here at the beach.
Just a few days ago, I had my first kid argue with what I said. He really drove me insane with his incessant questions while Will & I were swimming in the pool. I mean - constant questions. Of course, I kept giving him my typical answers of - "That's how God made him." And then, the obnoxious little boy turned to some other kid & told him (Oh I wish you could hear me imitate him through the blog... his little voice was just so ...ugh... argumentative!) Anyway, he said - "God did NOT make him like that." What?!?!?!? I snapped at him - "Yes, He did!" (As if God needs me to defend his creative creations. - I can't help it- it's the mother lion in me!) Seriously!
I told R later that night that I just wanted to give that obnoxious kid a time-out so Will & I could happily swim in peace rather than dealing with his rude questions. I hate to pull Will out of situations like that - it's not really fair to him. R suggested I tell the kid the following 2 things should he continue bothering us so now I'm prepared:
1. We have swine flu & are contagious. Will has a great fake sneeze he could throw in for credibility.
2. "Will & I are in a time-out so we can't talk to you while we swim." I fully intend to use this should he even start to try to ask me another question.
(ps- I call the kid "obnoxious" because, well, he is. But also - we've been watching Finding Nemo this week & when the fish at school discover Nemo's "fin difference," they start sharing their own personal differences- allergies, etc., & one says, "I'm obnoxious." Cracks me up!)
Oh the second conversation -this was truly hilarious!
Today, while swimming with Will, several little girls had lots of questions for me about Will. They wanted to see his toes & kept asking if he would get toes & fingers when he got bigger like them. This is a common question from kids & I just have to laugh (otherwise, I'd be crying all the time so I just try to laugh) when they assume because he is a baby, fingers & toes just haven't grown yet. The best.... & maybe even best ever question was:
curious girl: "What is he (meaning Will)?"
overprotective mommy: "He's a boy."
girl: "But what kind of boy is he?"
me: "He's of the human variety." (to quote Lady & the Tramp, because, you know, I've only watched it 267 times in the last few months.)
That baffled her & had her quiet for like 3 seconds before she began following us again in the pool & asking more questions. And then she said:
"I think he's a toy."
Hmmmmm- there you go. From the mouths of babes.

1 thoughts:

Megan said...

you could also try,"Out of the pool! Adult swim!" Maybe then you can get a swim in with Will since I don't think wee ones have to get out then!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...