2.07.2010

WOW!

About a week ago, I alluded in my post on "firsts" that I had possibly been contacted by another parent of a child with Will's exact same syndrome.
Turns out, it was the parent of that child. And, turns out, that kid is number 12 to have been diagnosed with the syndrome; I believe Will would be #13. This is the only person I have ever found with Will's same diagnosis!!! And, it is a boy & he lives in the USA!
His mom called today & left a message while we were at church. When I got her message, I was beside myself - I felt as though a celebrity had called me! There's several congenital amputees whose names are common around our house so we basically feel like they are celebrities- they are congenital amputees who live with purpose & we believe are setting a great example for our son - people like Nick Vujic (whom Will met last December) & Kyle Maynard (whom we met in May of 2009.)
I mean, I was super excited all day & R & I had to figure out when would be the best time to call her back as we wanted to respect Sunday afternoon nap time & at the same time were thinking about Super Bowl times and the time change difference between our homes.
Finally, this afternoon, I called. She answered right away! And, I think we spoke for 2 hours!!!
There is something absolutely incredible about talking to another mom who is in our world - who knows the terms & the fears & the challenges & the victories! We laughed a lot - because, frankly, when you have a kid missing various parts of limbs & using prosthetics - funny things happen - like losing a leg in the grocery store. I even cried some. She is further along this journey than I am (her son is a teenager) & she was able to share some great insight & advice & wisdom ... not just on raising a son with a syndrome but on raising kids in general. I love talking to moms who have been there - their advice is priceless!
She gave me great ideas on handling stares & pointing & comments. We talked about schools & independence & letting go. We talked about our faith and our pregnancies and how we've grown. She helped me figure out terms I'm comfortable with in describing Will & had some great ideas. She gave me several things to mull on - great insight & thoughts. We laughed... a lot!
I have been on a high all evening - there is just something amazing about the relationships that having Will in my life has enabled me to be a part of. I was so inspired & encouraged & blessed when I saw her son on the Today show in 2008. Wow that I got to talk to his mom today! I can't wait for the day we can all meet!
Just wanted to share this fun story with you - stay posted for the day Will (#13) meets a young man who I believe will inspire & encourage him as he did me two years ago. I can't wait to see their friendship grow- I think it will be so valuable to Will to have a young man he can look up to & ask questions of - someone who just gets it.
Thanks, S's, for encouraging us!

3 thoughts:

Natalie said...

Katie, That is awesome! I am so excited for yall to get the opportunity to build a friendship with this family! I think its awesome and I think its God! Looking forward to seeing you on Friday!

Unknown said...

So glad ya'll connected and really 'connected.'
So happy for you! :) God is everywhere! So how far do you live from them?
love, ejw

Meg said...

katie--it's meg harris from baylor. i found your blog on britney's. WOW--what an AMAZING testimony you have to share!! wow wow wow. i had to go all the way back and read your story from the beginning. thanks so much for your transperancy!! what a shining light you are!! i am soooo excited for your new baby--i will be praying for all 4 of you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...