6.29.2010

Ellie in the Belly Update- 31 weeks

I had another ultrasound today - a biophysical profile (BPP) & my first ever non-stress test (NST.)
A non-stress test is a misnomer - it's so named because it is non-invasive & so doesn't cause any stress on the baby or mother (supposedly.) It definitely made me more stressed.
BPP- Ellie took a while to pass her breathing tests once again today. She finally passed but with "shallow" breaths. They said that some babies take deep breaths & others take shallow so it's no big deal. I, however, worry that it is an indicator of respiratory issues to come - a common complication for babies with her tendon issue.
Also, my fluid levels are up. Normal fluid levels fall between 10-20 cm. Last week, mine were at 18. Today, they were at 20.25. I guess there is a small "grace window" as the doctor is not concerned yet. If it continues to rise, he will label it polyhydraminos at 22/23 cm. So, we'll see what happens next week. The major concerns are: early labor as it tells my body that I am further along than I am, possible complications for birth (me), and, most importantly, might be an indicator that Ellie is not swallowing adequately. Swallowing issues are quite common in babies with her tendon issue. Sometimes, these are fatal. Sometimes, it means that the baby/child will require a G-tube for feedings. Again, right now we just don't know - just some things to watch. There's nothing that can be done prenatally for either of these issues but the information would help us in determining birth plan & most critical issues to be immediately addressed.
Then we did the NST. Ellie didn't pass. It's supposed to be a 15 minute test in which they monitor contractions (I'm not having any) & also the baby's heart rate increases. The goal is to see two, fifteen second heart rate increases within a 15 minute time period. Ellie was pretty still - as she often is. So, after she didn't pass the first one on her own, they buzzed her with a little buzzer on my belly (they call it the "baby taser" - doesn't hurt her... just to wake her up or annoy her - to force her to react.) She did react - once. And then she was quiet again. So they tried again - basically they could get one heart rate increase per buzz... but not the necessary two in 15 minutes. Finally, the doctor dismissed me and they were not terribly concerned. They are assuming this is because we are only 31 weeks - they said results should be better at 32 weeks. I assume that if she continues to not pass, they might consider earlier delivery but I'm not sure - obviously that comes with concerns as well. It's just a big balancing act as far as when to deliver & how (c-section vs natural) - There are risks with preemies & for, Ellie, there are risks in leaving her in too long. There are risks with each method of delivery so we will really lean on our doctors in Dallas on Aug 3 for that decision.
R mentioned that this was not a great way to start our 8th year of marriage. No bad news, really, but not really great news either.
I met with the genetic counselor once again to discuss some things I have been researching. I mentioned to her that I read recently that a better name for her would be "grief counselor." Goodness, she is so wonderful at her job - such a wealth of information and medical knowledge yet so good in presenting it to me, helping me make decisions, helping me work through emotions, etc.
She did rule out a possible neurological muscle disorder (often fatal) I had wondered about so that was good.
It's wait & see for Ellie. We'll just see how she does next week with her tests. And my heart goes on hold, once again.
Everything else looks great - organs, masses are minimal if at all present - it seems that the organs have continued to grow good so perhaps they have just outgrown their various masses. Some masses have altogether disappeared thankfully. I don't know about her growth this week - we'll check that again at 35 weeks.
She does have looong hair! It was waving around & was the first thing the ultrasound tech commented on! Apparently it's on the back & top of her head! I told her it was a good thing as I've already packed precious little hair clips in her hospital bag! :)
As I've continued to research (& have downloaded & begun reading my first medical text book - an entire textbook on her tendon issue exists for $400 hardcopy or free PDF- R is printing it out for me to put in a notebook so I can highlight & take notes for doctors.) Anyway, I've recently learned that it can help Ellie's muscles & tendons actually for me to drink up to 3 cups of coffee/caffeniated beverages a day! I've bought some coca-cola & am throughly enjoying that freedom - although I can't quite get to 3 a day! I'm tempted to make a copy of those doctor's tips to take with me in public should I get bad looks! The book also recommends exercising, which I've been trying to do (around our travel schedule, Will's therapy schedule, & my doctors' appointments). It's nice to think that there are some minor things I can do that might help her just a little. I don't know how much these things actually help but it makes me feel more proactive.
Thank you for continuing to lift up our Ellie in your prayers! Please pray that the fluid levels decrease some, that her heart rate increases pick up some in reaction to life, & that we are able to make good decisions for her birth & treatments.

3 thoughts:

Crystal said...

Yeah for Elli in your belly!! 31 weeks is a accomplishment! Not so much of a yeah for all the other stuff. But still she is with you and that is something to celebrate as you know. (I know I do not need to remind you all of that! Maybe that is more for me. Sorry if that hits a nerve!) Soon you should be getting a little package from us. Thanks for your love and support for us and we just hope we can return it!

23weeks said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I really have learned so much from you. I will keep your family in my prayers. Jen

Unknown said...

Once again, you are amazing! Holding you and your family in my prayers as always.
Yeah for 31 weeks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...