8.16.2010

Last Days

You know those friends that are more like family? They're so close to you that growing up, the kids wonder if maybe these are some extra cousins?
The S's & G's are those kind of friends to our family. My dad & John S. have been best friends since age 5! John & Jim both married twins Debbie & Sandi which led to a friendship with Jim & Sandi G. too. Growing up, despite the fact that the S's lived in a far away state & later in Guatemala, we always went white water canoeing every May. Surviving that every year really bonds a friendship :) (or a marriage but I'll spare you the details of the "Great Fight" between R & I during our first canoe trip... ;)) We've done boating trips together too. When the S's lived in Guatemala, I visited them three times - once staying for most of the summer to work with them at the children's home where they were serving as missionaries. One of the girls was a bridesmaid at my wedding. They've attended Will's birth & are back together again for Ellie's. We've stayed at the G's for doctors' appointments - sometimes even when they were out of town.
The S. & G. families are just those kind of wonderful family friends.
Precious friends, we are thankful for you!
This weekend, we went over for a little swim and lunch... and ended up putting Will down for his nap there, taking a nap myself on their couch, and staying for dinner! It was a great way to escape the reality of why we are in Dallas for a day!

Here's most of the group:
3 families, 50 years of friendship, multiple states, 3 marriages in the second generation & Ellie will make the 2nd child born to the second generation.
(I just read that sentence and I apologize that it makes very little sense.)
Saying we're a competitive group would be an understatement.
I can remember sand castle building and swimming contests with the S's & G's even as a little girl.
After nap time, the contests began.
Nearly everyone participated & I will proudly boast that the over 30's group actually won the most contests I think!
This was the "treading water while doing various hand motions" contest. I didn't attempt this at nearly 38 weeks pregnant. Will is on the far right, on Claire's back. I love how he is participating too - the rule was that you had to tread water with one hand in the air.
Sandi is the creative contest maker-upper
Next, came the chicken fights.
Will thought this was a blast!
Our family of 3(4)!
There were some very serious relay races - involving various strokes and even piggyback swimming: as demonstrated by Will:
I'm rather competitive and couldn't stand being left out. Poor R - swimming with me barely hanging on as my belly didn't really allow me to piggyback swim properly. (Is there a proper method?)
we didn't win

I love this picture! Not sure why they are raising their hands - I think they were voting about the next race but I love that Will was right there ready to race and placing his vote! He has no idea he is only 2 & that there is a 20 year age gap between him and the next oldest "kid!"
A piggy back race- Will is second from left
Will is smiling so big! Having a blast racing!

The first relay was quite serious - each participant had to do 4 laps - with multiple stroke requirements. Will & I sat out to cheer for this one.

Even a dog raced Will!
One relay involved swimming to the end of the pool & doing a silly jump off the diving rock. I so wish I had pictures of my parents & their friends doing their jumps - hilarious! Will loved this race as he likes to make silly faces when he jumps! :)
We did do some relaxing swimming too - here's Ellie & I with the S girls
Will basically just called all the girls "the girls"
He enjoyed flirting shamelessly and kissing as many girls as he could
I forgot to post these recent pics of our last few days in Tyler:
Will's Aunt Lili got an awesome globe sprinkler. Will LOVED it & it was perfect for a hot day!

He is the third generation to ride this horse!
And I have been soaking up every possible minute I can cuddling with him (& often falling asleep myself!)

1 thoughts:

Sara said...

James and I hate that we missed such a fuh time! We heard it was a blast and your pictures confirmed that. We're praying for you guys, and especially precious little Ellie on this special day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...